Monday 6 July 2009

Reader's Block


It's terrible, I've developed a new condition, no not swine 'flu~ it is far more serious than that. I've got Reader's Block.

Over the past few days I've visited the library, haunted bookshops, been visited by a laden down postman and raided my own shelves but despite having lots of books to chose from I can't find anything to settle down with.

I've started lots of books, I think at last count I had 6 partly read, but not one of them has held my attention.

I hope that this doesn't last too long as there are plenty of people out there who will testify just how grouchy this state of affairs can make me.

2 comments:

  1. When this happens to me, and it does, I abandon all efforts to read a book that is waiting my review, or on the to be read pile, and I turn to an old favourite that I have ead dozens of times, it can be Austen, Dickens or Agatha Christie or Frances Hodgson Burnett, doesn't matter. I find every time I do this that suddenly things click into place and I can start a new book. I think the little grey cells need a rest every now and then and to relax and enjoy the familiar. try it and see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without knowing it I followed this advice and read my way through some old favourites (Gwendoline Courtney and Claire Malory) and lo and behold I re-found my enthusiasm and haven't looked back!

    ReplyDelete