Top fiction and non fiction from 2014.
Despite a lot of my reading being for uni during the year I seem to still have managed a lot of reading for pleasure too, although it has to be said I struggled more to get a top 10 for each genre, more than 5 was easy but getting to 10 less so.
These are simply in alphabetical order and nothing more - simply the best books I have read this year.
- Song for Issy Bradley - Carys Bray
- A Place Called Winter - Patrick Gale
- Ishmael's Oranges - Claire Hajaj
- Wars of the Roses: Trinity - Conn Iggulden
- The Dead Lake - Hamid Ismaliov
- Strange Weather in Tokyo - Hiromi Kawakami
- A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Oyezeki
- Unspeakable - Abbie Rushton
- Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan
- Mrs Hemingway - Naomi Woods
In this we have 2 books not out until 2015, 2 in translation and one sequel that was easily as good as the first!
- The Fateful Year: 1914 - Mark Bostridge
- Europe in the Looking Glass - Robert Byron
- Bitter Lemons - Lawrence Durrell
- How to Be a Heroine - Samantha Ellis
- Apple of My Eye - Helene Hanff
- H is for Hawk - Helen Macdonald
- My Salinger Year - Joanna Smith Rakoff
- The Boy in the Top Knot - Sathnam Sanghera
- Without Reservations - Alice Steinbach
- Gin, Glorious Gin - Olivia Williams
From this list it seems that travel writing is my top genre of 2014!
Here's to another year of reading in 2015, although studying continues and will involved a 15000 word dissertation so who knows how much I'll read for pleasure. I do have a 2 week beach holiday planned which will mean at least a dozen books...!