Saturday 3 June 2017

May Reading Round Up

May seems like it has been full of Bailey's Prize books, I may have only had five left to read but I've been writing about them here and on the Norfolk Library book review blog as well as talking about them with others on Twitter and Instagram. However as these books have all been great reads this hasn't been a chore!

In between these books I also finished another 13 books in May and in addition to Stay With Me which I reviewed here there are three more books I want to talk about:

London Under - Peter Ackroyd
This is a simple non fiction book which looks at the history of London under your feet. It covers hidden rivers, sewers and of course the Tube. It was an easy read but one that made London come to life for me, especially after our recent trip to the London Guildhall and the Roman ruins buried under there.


Who Let the Gods Out
- Maz Evans
This was a fun book for children taking a currently popular idea of the Greek Gods returning to modern day Earth. This one had a different feel from some of the others although I am hard pressed to explain  how exactly, in many ways the closest comparison to other books Marie Phillips God Behaving Badly - although with content suitable for children! For once I was also really pleased to realise half way through that this was going to be a series. 



The Boy Behind the Curtain - Tim Winton
This is a quirky book, part autobiography, part environmental treatise and part whimsical musing about the state of the world.  I loved every section of it and I really liked the Western Australian setting and the reminder of just how remote this state is to the rest of Australia. I can't remember what made me reserve this book from the library but I am pleased that I did as this was a wonderful read.


I'm now looking forward to seeing what books June bring, the Wainright Prize longlist has just been announced and so I think I might start reading those...



1 comment:

  1. Hello Sarah,

    My name is Anna Poulimas and I am the PR Coordinator for Beacon Publishing Group. I would like the opportunity to share Michael Bray’s new book “Project Apex” with you for review consideration. For your convenience, please find the synopsis below. I would be happy to send you a pdf file of the book upon your request. The book is available now in Ebook, paperback, and audio book.

    Michael Bray is a bestselling horror / thriller author of several novels. Influenced from an early age by the suspense horror of authors such as Stephen King, Richard Laymon, Shaun Hutson, James Herbert & Brian Lumley, along with TV shows like Tales from the Crypt & The Twilight Zone, his work touches on the psychological side of horror, teasing the reader’s nerves and willing them to keep turning the pages. Several of his titles are currently being translated into multiple languages and with options for movie and Television adaptations under negotiation for others, he will look to continue his growth as a full time professional writer long into the future.

    For more information on Michael Bray please visit http://www.michaelbrayauthor.com/

    Synopsis: 
    When an unprecedented global scale attack plunges the world into chaos and threatens to eradicate the human race from existence, former scientist Richard Draven is tasked with finding a way to restore order. With governments in chaos and violence rampant in the streets, a grueling tale of survival and the strength of humanity in all corners of the globe is about to unfold as a man known only as Joshua strengthens his grip on a world close to ruin.

    Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your response.

    Best regards,

    Anna Poulimas
    PR Coordinator
    Beacon Publishing Group
    (E)annapoulimas@beaconpublishinggroup.com
    (W)www.beaconaudiobooks.com
    (W)www.beaconpublishinggroup.com

    ReplyDelete