Friday 12 April 2019

Reading Challenge Updates

Personal Reading Challenges.

As was proved in 2017 I really suck at reading challenges, even ones I set myself for fun!

This year I am trying to do a little better. My job has changed somewhat and for the first time in 21 years I am not working directly with books, authors and readers.
As I've survived a brain hemorrhage and regained the ability to read it feels very important to not lose my book world knowledge or my love of books.

I belong to an online book discussion group linked to Norfolk's libraries and for this we created two challenges for 2018.

One is a simple monthly challenge:

And so far I have managed to complete the first quarter's challenges

  • In January I read Flat Share by Beth O'Leary
  • In February I started If Cats Disappeared from the World by Genki Kawamura, a book I only bought because I fell in love with the cover! (I didn't actually finish this one in Feb but I'm counting it as a challenge sucess!)
  • In March my reservations for Two Weeks in Florence and Yesterday Morning by Diana Athill arrived and I enjoyed both of these short books, one a diary of a holiday to Italy and the other a memoir of a Norfolk Childhood.
We also launched a bingo style challenge to inspire reading:
Without even realising it I have actually 'ticked' many of the boxes here as many of my reads do tick more than one box!
  • Is a story about a real character - Becoming Mrs Lewis
  • A debut novel - The Flat Share
  • A number in the title - Vintage 1954
  • Set during war time - Island Song
  • A non fiction book - The Cut Out Girl
  • Award Winning - The Cut Out Girl
  • A book from my wishlist - Chasing the Sun
  • An item from a library that is new to me - Beauchamp Hall
  • Read a children's book/watch a children't film - The Lego Movie 2
  • Read a book set in Norfolk - Beauchamp Hall
  • Read a book in translation - Vintage 1954

If I do complete this one, I might go back and try to get a unique item for each prompt.

Just this week one of my closet friends shared the reading challenge that she has developed as part of her job and I am tempted to start that one too.

I think that I like these challenges so much because I don't have to read anything set but can retrofit my choices!



No comments:

Post a Comment