Wednesday 18 March 2020

Kentishbookboy and Norfolkbookworm Read - Book 2 2020

War Horse - by Michael Morpurgo


This was Kentishbookboy's pick for his bingo chart "set before 1950" and I think he made a brilliant choice with this one, and although it is a while since I read it I can definitely add my thoughts to his as it is such a memorable book!


War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

Synopsis:

In the deadly chaos of the First World War, one horse witnesses the reality of battle from both sides of the trenches. Joey tells of the truest friendhips surviving in terrible times. He knows the power of war and the beauty of peace. This is his story.

It has been said that the English love animals more than people and perhaps this book is one more example of this as Morpurgo tells the tale of the Great War from a horse's point of view. This unusual narrator does allow us to see the war from both sides and it is remarkable how much of the horror is told in a way that shies away from nothing but is not too horrific.

Dilemma:

Joey has to face his fears and find ways of continuing as his life is constantly changing. From auction house to farm to war and losing his friends.

The dilemma of the book for me was how Joey could survive, and remain himself, while all of life happened around him. Being able to keep going in uncertain times and in situations where Joey has no control over anything are also dilemmas

Morals/Themes:

Firstly, war is a big theme for War Horse. Also, another theme for this book is to never give up. Courage and determination describe this too.

The main themes I take from this book are the futility of war, the importance of friendship (in whatever form it is shown) and the need to remain true to yourself.

Recommendation:

This book is really good yet quite sad in places. Despite this, it is a very thrilling novel and I personally recommend it to people who like history and fiction. Michael Morpurgo is a talented and legendary author. I rate it five stars.

I'm so pleased that Kentishbookboy is enjoying Michael Morpurgo's books as much as he is, I've long been a fan and it is nice to share a love of an author. The book War Horse has become a little overshadowed by the (fantastic) stage show and the (dreadful) film but it is a cracking read and a clever way to tell a traumatic history in a rounded way.
I am hoping that sometime soon there will be another tour of the War Horse show as I think that Kentishbookboy (and his mum) would enjoy it - I know that his nan and his great aunt did when I saw it with them!

As Mr Norfolkbookworm and I have been away for a while I think Kentishbookboy is steaming ahead of me with the reading, and if (as looks likely) schools close I am sure that there will be many more books read/reviewed over the coming weeks - even if the reviews change format for a while!



No comments:

Post a Comment