Monday 8 February 2021

World Book Night 2021: Book Eight

 

The Pocket Book of Happiness from Trigger Publishing

Own copy

When I ordered myself a copy of this book I wasn't sure what type of book was going to arrive, and I'm afraid that when I opened the parcel and saw what it was my heart sank.

Working in book retail for over a decade has left me with a slight aversion to this type of book - the pocket gift book. They used to clutter the till point and people would  read them in store (often breaking the spine) but not buy them. The very first Black Books episode parodies the genre wonderfully.

There was nothing wrong with this book at all, and it is fun to open it at random just to get a 'quote for the day' but, ironically, it just wasn't a book that made me happy.

Buying an independently published book from an independent bookshop however did make me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment