Thursday 4 January 2024

Why I loved those 20 books from 2023 - part two!

 

Why that Top 20?

Following on from my New Year's Day post of top 20 books for 2023 here's the reasoning behind my top fiction books.

It was really hard to pick just 10 (as ever) and I do feel bad that The Half Life of Valery K by Natasha Pulley and the Cat + Gamer manga books by Wataru Nadatani (tr. Davisson), and Wandering Souls by Cecile Pin didn't make the cut as all were excellent - in very different ways.

An Astronomer in Love - in a year of such horrible/sad events (on a global and personal level) this book was like a warm hug. It is full of Laurain's charming whimsy and I loved both of the dual timeline stories - even the flights of fantasy. The zebra was also great!

Black Butterflies - I reviewed this one at the time but I've found that it has really stayed with me since I closed the book.

Morgan Is My Name - despite my love of myths and legends I am very ignorant when it comes to the Arthurian tales (I'm guessing that Monty Python doesn't really count...) and I loved this introduction to them from the female perspective. I can't wait for book two and am resisting reading up on the tales until I've finished this trilogy just so as to not have the plot spoiled!

In Memoriam - after working on a big WW1 project from 2013-2019 I've not read a lot of fiction from this era since but this one really drew me in. I could see lots of Winn's influences throughout the story but it still managed to be moving and original.

What You Are Looking For Is In The Library - there's a lot of whimiscal books from Japan on the market at the moment and lots of them have links to books/libraries but this one was especially enjoyable and about the power of books without being didactic.

Sweet Bean Paste - another book from Japan but this one was very different to a lot of the others and in many ways reminded me lots of The Island by Victoria Hislop.

The Figurine - I loved this one from Hislop and it felt like a companion piece to her Those Who Are Loved which I remember saying at the time seemed to end very abruptly. The contemporary storyline in this novel took on a timely quality when the news about thefts from the British Library broke at the time I was reading the novel!

The Kamogawa Food Detectives  - set in Kyoto around a restaurant that is very hard to find but where the chefs can help you recreate that perfect dish from your memory. Don't read this one if you are hungry and don't expect it to be all about delicious sounding Japanese food. I really hope that there are more books from this setting to come.

The Dallergut Dream Department Store - one of several Korean books I read this year but it makes the list for reasons similar to An Astronomer in Love - it is a warm hug of a book! Very much a fantasy novel and in many ways it reminded me of Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree in that there are many worlds and fantastical ideas all within a multi story building!

Four Seasons in Japan - another Japanese book but this time one written by a British author, all be it one who has spent a lot of time in Japan. This one, like The Kamogawa Food Detectives isn't set in Tokyo and the story within a story was just wonderful, I did review this one yearly in the year.

It has to be said that even though 2024 is only a few days old I've already read an absolutely brilliant book - another myth/legend retelling but from a source material that I am unfamiliar with - and I can see that it is a strong contender to be on this list next year!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment