Wednesday 2 March 2011

World Book Night Challenge 21/25


Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez.


This was a book I had to read for two reasons, as well as being a World Book Night title it was also the book chosen for my International Fiction Group. That instantly made the title problematic to me.

I have a bad bad habit of finding *any* book that I have to read for a book group impossible. I don't mind setting myself reading challenges but the instant I am told to read a book I get a block. I think it must date back to school and teenage rebellion!

I worked through it on this one and I am pleased that I persevered. I didn't think it was a great book, and again I found it to be populated by unlikeable characters but the writing itself, the language used, was beautiful.

I'm looking forward to this month's book group now, we focus on literature in translation and plan the discussions around this rather than just whether or not we liked the book. I'm not sure that I'll have much to add to the discussion as most of my instincts to books are like/dislike but I look forward to being challenged into thinking about the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment