Saturday 1 January 2022

Review of the year part 1

 

Top 10 fiction novels read in 2021

Looking back on my reading diary for 2021 I had a better year of books than I first thought, and indeed I couldn't narrow it down to just 10 books so I am creating 3 lists this year - one for fiction, one for non-fiction and one for children's/YA books.

I did completed two of my own challenges, reading all of the 2021 World Book Night titles and then reading all of the books long listed for the 2021 Wainwright Prize. I also got better at abandoning books - actually abandoning them rather than kidding myself that I'd come back to them!

I was also pleased to see that 60% of the books read were by women and that I read more than 2 translated titles a month.

Anyhow, in alphabetical order, here are my top 10 fiction reads from this year:

  • Civilisations by Laurent Binet (translated from the French by Sam Taylor)
  • Which Way? by Theodora Benson
  • The Sentence by Louise Erdrich
  • The Lost Daughter by Elena Ferrante (translated from the Italian by Ann Goldstein)
  • The Apollo Murders by Chris Hadfield
  • The Island of Trees by Elif Shafak
  • Kololo Hill by Neema Shah
  • O, The Brave Music by Dorothy Evelyn Smith
  • Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
  • Still Life by Sarah Winman


No comments:

Post a Comment