Monday 31 January 2011

World Book Night Challenge 8/25


The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - John le Carre

This is one from the list that I had been looking forward to reading. Thrillers and spies are not usually my subject matter of choice but since reading Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre last year the whole concept of espionage has been intriguing me. The Cold War setting was also an added bonus.

I don't think that I've read any le Carre (sorry I really can't work out how to get the accents) before, although Mr Bookworm and I did watch the Alec Guinness version of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy a couple of years ago.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, the twists and turns kept me hooked from page one and I while I hoped that Leamas was a 'good' guy (and lets face it in the world of spies that is very much a relative term!) I was never 100% sure.

I found this is a perfectly formed novel, it had good pace and story and the wasn't so convoluted or full of so many characters that I got muddled reading it.

I was 13 when the Berlin Wall fell and while I realise that the Cold War was pretty 'cold' in my life time I found it easy to imagine the world created in the novel.
There is one problem with the book - I've discovered that there is a sort of prequel and also as Smiley is a peripheral character in this one I now want to read more about him. I might also have to bump Agent ZigZag towards the top of the challenge pile.

My to be read pile just grew again!




No comments:

Post a Comment