Thursday 17 February 2011

World Book Night Challenge 16/25


Case Histories - Kate Atkinson

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book at all, blind prejudice on my part for this thought - my library book came with the letters CRI on the spine saying that this was a crime fiction novel. One of my least favourite genres.

Happily my first impressions were wrong. Or perhaps the classification is wrong?

The novel opens with three crimes that have taken place in and around Cambridge over the past few decades. Each of the cases is somewhat unresolved and family members have turned to Jackson Brodie, an ex policeman turned Private Investigator, to find out exactly what happened.

The book isn't really about the solving of the crimes, it is a study into people and how crimes have an effect for decades on the people left behind.

It was a great read, but for me not a perfect book.
There were too many strands to the story and either the book wasn't long enough or the resolution to the stories was too abrupt for my liking. There are more books featuring Jackson Brodie but I won't be in a hurry to look them out but on the other hand I won't be avoiding them either.

No comments:

Post a Comment