Monday 30 December 2013

Theatrical Review of 2013

Favourites from 2013


A bumper year for theatre visits this year as I saw 34 productions live plus a handful of 'as lives' in the theatre.  Some things didn't live up to my expectations - People and Mojo spring to mind instantly for this category.

I met a play that I actively loathed - Macbeth at the Trafalgar Studios, but luckily the version staged later in the year at The Globe reminded me that I do like the play when it is done well.

In no particular order my top five theatrical performances from 2013 are:


  1. The Color Purple at the Chocolate Menier Theatre
  2. Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake at the Theatre Royal, Norwich
  3. The Henry VI trilogy at The Globe
  4. The Merchant of Venice at Norwich Cathedral
  5. Blue Stockings at The Globe
Near misses from my top 5 included Privates on Parade, Proof, and The Snowman!

In 2014 I am already looking forward to visiting the new Sam Wanamaker Theatre, seeing King Lear with Simon Russell Beale at the National Theatre and all of the summer season at The Globe.

I'm also hoping that there is a revival of Journey's End soon as I really want to see it again and that the trope of having a toilet/vomiting on stage soon vanishes!


No comments:

Post a Comment