Wednesday 22 March 2017

My own personal landmark birthday reading challenge

The Norfolkbookworm Birth Year Reading Challenge 


Being 40 later this month it would have been far too easy just to say that my reading challenge was just to read 40 fabulous books this year.  The problem with that is however I have already finished 60+ books this year and 2017 might not be a stellar year and there might not be 40 fabulous books...

Instead I've thought about this a little more and I've set myself twelve goals for the year and they all relate to books that have a connection to 1977.

This year I will try to read the following books from 1977:
  • The Booker Prize winner – Staying On by Paul Mark Scott
  • The Carnegie Medal winner – The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler by Gene Kemp 
  • The Greenaway Medal winner - Dogger by Shirley Hughes
  • The Whitbread Best Book Award winner – Injury Time by Beryl Bainbridge
  • The Newbery Medal winner – Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D Taylor
  • Miles Franklin award winner – Swords and Crowns and Rings by Ruth Parks
  • Governor's General  Award winner (English language) – The Wars – Timothy Findley


In addition to these I also am challenging myself to read the following:
  • A book written by an author who was born in 1977
  • A book written by an author who died in 1977
  • A non fiction book published in 1977
  • A sci-fi book published in 1977
  • A book in translation from 1977
I will also try to see a play that was originally from 1977, as well as the Oscar and BAFTA winners - hopefully over the next 12 months I will manage all of this and  using lists from Good Reads and Wikipedia I might even discover some other great reads/watches from the year!




No comments:

Post a Comment