Monday 15 February 2021

World Book Night 2021: Book Ten

 

A Dutiful Boy by Mohsin Zaidi (Square Peg - a Penguin Random House imprint)

Own copy (eBook)

I saw reviews for this pre-publication and it instantly went on to my 'I want to read this' list and so I am very glad that it has been picked as a World Book Night title as it means I got to it quicker!

This was never going to be an easy read, coming out memoirs rarely are and when the addition of a strong faith is also part of the equation then the book becomes even more layered. This book also added in the pressure of living in an area with many social and economic and so from all these issues I was expecting a heavy read.

I won't lie, at times this book did make for a hard read but it was also full of surprises and joy too. The start of the book, where Mohsin is taking his boyfriend home to meet the family was cleverly stopped at a key point so you aren't sure for the rest of the book what family reaction will be at this occasion and left me with my heart in mouth as I read the rest of the book.

No spoilers as you need to see the story unfold in real (life) time but this book was brilliant and taught me a lot about what life in the UK must be like as an outsider, as well as if you are an outsider in your own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment