Friday 29 October 2021

Micro Review 43

 

Once There Was a Bear by Jane Riordan (Farshore)

Most people who know me in real life know that I am a real Tigger fan, and that Mr Norfolkbookworm has a lot in common with Eeyore) so I was really nervous about this book - I really disliked the authorised sequel about 10 years ago and sequels/prequels/retellings of classic books have been hit and miss with me.

As ever the lure of a new book drew me in and my copy of Once there was a Bear arrived at the library for me just in time for the weekend. 

This was such a delight to read - it was an origins story explaining how Christopher Robin came to own the stuffed toys that accompanied him on his adventures. Each one was just perfect and so in keeping with their characteristics as described by A A Milne in 95 years ago. Even Pooh's hums made me smile.

I really hope that this books does well, it fits in with the originals and even explains how the gang came to live in Hundred Acre Wood.

This is proof that with love and care books can be added to classics but I wish that all of them were as great at this one - and I loved this one all the more because of Tigger's role in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment