Wednesday 31 December 2014

Top 10 Books of 2014

Top fiction and non fiction from 2014.


Despite a lot of my reading being for uni during the year I seem to still have managed a lot of reading for pleasure too, although it has to be said I struggled more to get a top 10 for each genre, more than 5 was easy but getting to 10 less so.

These are simply in alphabetical order and nothing more - simply the best books I have read this year.


Fiction:


  • Song for Issy Bradley - Carys Bray
  • A Place Called Winter - Patrick Gale
  • Ishmael's Oranges - Claire Hajaj
  • Wars of the Roses: Trinity - Conn Iggulden
  • The Dead Lake - Hamid Ismaliov
  • Strange Weather in Tokyo - Hiromi Kawakami
  • A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Oyezeki
  • Unspeakable - Abbie Rushton
  • Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan
  • Mrs Hemingway - Naomi Woods
In this we have 2 books not out until 2015, 2 in translation and one sequel that was easily as good as the first!

Non-fiction

  • The Fateful Year: 1914 - Mark Bostridge
  • Europe in the Looking Glass - Robert Byron
  • Bitter Lemons - Lawrence Durrell
  • How to Be a Heroine - Samantha Ellis
  • Apple of My Eye - Helene Hanff
  • H is for Hawk - Helen Macdonald
  • My Salinger Year - Joanna Smith Rakoff
  • The Boy in the Top Knot - Sathnam Sanghera
  • Without Reservations - Alice Steinbach
  • Gin, Glorious Gin - Olivia Williams
From this list it seems that travel writing is my top genre of 2014!

Here's to another year of reading in 2015, although studying continues and will involved a 15000 word dissertation so who knows how much I'll read for pleasure.  I do have a 2 week beach holiday planned which will mean at least a dozen books...!

No comments:

Post a Comment